Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kitchen update on a budget | Jennifer V Designs | Toledo, OH

A friend of mine asked me to help her with her kitchen.  She said she didn't want to spend a lot of money, but wanted it updated.  So I went out and met with her and checked out her kitchen.  While there, she told me she wanted her kitchen walls to be a bright green.  I asked her why, because, in the back of my mind, I was thinking it probably wouldn't be the best idea.  Turns out, she has this fabulous fruit picture that has hung in her kitchen since I can remember and it was her grandmother's and she loved the greens in the picture, so thought she should paint her kitchen green.


Here's some pictures of her kitchen before:




Since her kitchen was already neutral, I had to really talk her into to staying with a neutral paint palette. I explained  to her that her beloved fruit picture would get lost with a bright paint and also, over time, she would tire of bright walls versus staying with a neutral.  Through window treatments and accessories, we would be able to pull the greens that she wanted. 

For the wall color, we chose a beige color,  pulled from the background of the fruit picture.  Her original trim was all painted green and I highly recommended that we change that to a soft white that would flow with the rest of the house.  For the kitchen cupboards, we chose a warm vanilla (which the pictures do not show at all ) pulled from her new table and chairs she had recently purchased. 








The window treatments really gave the kitchen the the pop of color that my friend wanted.  The fabric is an updated damask print that worked well with the colors chosen and her existing items in her kitchen.  For under $1000, with the majority going towards painting the walls, trim and kitchen cupboards, my friend got an updated kitchen makeover on a budget. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Jenny!! You took my "boring" idea and turned it into something glamorous! I just loved the way you pulled all the colors together and made it beautiful!! You have a natural talent with design. You did an amazing job! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can my kitchen be next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Grandma's picture Jessica! Richard has never seen any like that at any auctions that he has gone to. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful you did a great job!
    Jake Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  5. The makeover looks great, I love the fabric selection!! Bravo:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I appreciate the wonderful comments!!

    ReplyDelete